Back to samples menu
Grade 1 Phonics- Short a
By Amy Smalley
Sky Oaks Elementary Burnsville, Minnesota
Name the letter a
Know the short a sound
Rhyme using short a word families
Decode basic short cvc words
Transfer knowledge of short a to journal and other writing
Day 1 topic: -at family
1. Read The Cat in the Hat as a class (c layer)
2. Generate the -at family word list. (c layer)
3. Have children record the words on a "Cat in the Hat" paper hat. (c layer)
Day 2: topic: -an family "Dan the Flying Man" by Joy Cowley
1. Generate some of the -an family. (c layer)
2. Have children generate rhyming words with a partner. (B layer)
3. Make an "-an fan". (C layer)
Day 3 topic: -ag family
1. Generate some of the -an family. (C Layer)
2. Have children generate rhyming sounds. (A layer)
3. Make an "-ag flag". (C Layer)
Day 4 topic: -short a review
1. Read Tha Paper Bag Princess as a class (C Layer)
2. Make your own "paper bag princess" and then write short a words on the paper lunch bag. (C
Day 5 topic: short a party
1. Have students bring one or a combination of more than one of the following projects to school.
-A written list of short a words
-Pictures of short a words they have drawn
-Short a pictures from a magazine, newspaper....
-A collection of short a objects found around their house.
-Use your imagination to make a book or other project showing your knowledge of short a words.
2. Short a class bingo using Apple Jacks. (C layer)
1. Complete letter Aa handwriting.
2. Short a worksheets
3. Computer programs
B LAYER ( Select 2 or 3 activities)
1. Make a short collage
2. Create a different short a word family other than the ones we've studied.
3. Word building using cards or magnetic letters.
4. Sorting pictures by short vowel sounds.
A LAYER (Select 1 or 2 activities)
1. Generate/match rhyming words
2. Find and correct errors in a short vowel sentence (Example- The man will pat the cab)
3. How many sentences can you generate using short vowel a words?