Back to the
Indians of North America Layered Curriculum
St. Amant, La.
Objectives: The learner will
be able to give examples of early cultures and settlements that existed
in North America prior to contact with Europeans (H-1B-M1). The learner
will be able to identify and compare historic Indian groups of the
East, Southwest, Northwest, Artic, Great Plains, and Eastern Woodlands
regions at the beginning of European exploration - The learner will be
able to describe the origins and expansion of ancient American empires
(i.e. Inca, Maya) and complex societies in the Americas (e.g. Aztec)
Choose 1 from 1-3 (5 pts)
1. Participate in lecture and complete notes
2. Listen to notes on tape and respond to questions
3. Participate and complete activities in a Literature circle.
Choose 1 from 4-7 (5pts)
4. Make vocabulary flash cards.
5. Create a crossword puzzle using vocabulary words
6. Record your vocabulary words and their meaning on tape.
7. Use the vocabulary words in sentences.
**Everyone will complete 8, 9, 10,11 (10 pts each)
8. Use a graphic organizer to compare and contrast the Incas, Mayas and the Aztecs.
9. Compare the various historic Indian groups discussed in our lecture.
10. Make a poster or powerpoint that gives examples of early cultures and settlements that existed in North America before the Europeans came.
11. Complete two of the assigned worksheets
Choose 2 from 12-16 (10 pts each)
12. Design totem pole.
13. Design an Indian paper doll that reflects early culture.
14. Choose an Indian tribe and compose a song to describe them.
15. Design an invitation that explains what a potlatch is and invites others to share in one with you.
16. Design an ethnic Indian costume.
***Everyone does #17 (15 pts.)
17. Create an Indians of North America booklet. You should have a cover page and back page. In the booklet include each region and write about the Native Americans that lived in that region. You may use a variety of resources to complete this assignment.
***Everyone takes one form of the written test
18. Written Test—(100 pts. Not included on grading scale)
Level B Choose 1 from 1-2 and 1 from 3-4: (15 pts each)
1. Create a Native American board game. Follow instructions on handout. (15pts)
2. Create an American Indian leather painting. Follow instructions on handout.
3. Imagine you are a member of an Iroquois tribe. Write a speech to get people to join the confederation.
4. Imagine that you are a member of the Hopi tribe who is living through a drought. Write a letter to a friend that describes how the drought is affecting your life.
Level A Choose 1 (20 pts )
1. Were the Americans Indians abused?
2. Summarize 2 recent magazine, journal or internet articles on Indians.
Grading Scale: 118-135 = A
Below 49 = F