Bacteria and their viruses
Kathie F. Nunley, Granger
100 points possible NAME______________________________________
Period ________ due date_____________
UNIT 4 Bacteria and their viruses.
Section I. Basic understanding (65 POINTS MAX)
Listen and take lecture notes 5 pts/day 1 2 3
1. Quietly watch the video. Take notes. 15 pts.
2. Make 2 color drawings on blank paper. One
showing a lytic virus, one showing a
lysogenic virus. Be able to explain them. 10
3. Make a "cootie catcher" to teach bacteria
shapes and arrangements.5 points
4. Read the chapter on Bacteria in the HOLT textbook.
Take the quiz.day3 or 4. 15 pts.
5. .Using plain paper, write and illustrate a
children's book on Bacteria: growth,
reproduction, antibiotics, prevention. Add a
cover. 10 pts.
6. Pass a quiz on bacteria shapes and arrangments.
day 2,3,or 4. 10 pts.
7. Research Louis Pasteur. Write a one page report.
Present the information and the
report on a poster board. Illustrate. Use and
list 2 sources. 15pts.
8. Make flashcards using terms on board - using
your own words. 10 pts.
9. Read the magazine article______________________Summarize
10. Write 2 paragraphs. One on ways our bodies
fight bacteria, one on ways it fights
viruses. This MUST BE DONE IN A LANGUAGE OTHER
THAN ENGLISH. 10 pts.
11. Make a booklet of Internet sites dedicated
to bacteria. Include cover page, table of
contents and home page of at least 10 sites.
(no matching booklets) 15 pts.
12. Find a newspaper article on a virus. Cut
out, read and summarize. 10 pts.
13. Interview someone who works in a medical
lab on sterilization techniques. 10 pts.
14. List and explain (1 - 2pages) 10 things your
body does to fight viral infection. 10 pts
Section II. 15 points each. Choose one. Note:
All these labs require streaking a plate
of agar with bacteria. You must watch and listen
to the demonstration to do the
1. Grow a collection of bacteria from at least
5 places on your body. Describe your
collection of colonies and compare them to your
2. Does handwashing reduce the bacteria on your
hands? Prove it..
3. Find a place in the school "germier" than
Section III A level - Use A level report form
20 points each. Choose one
1. What is the current treatment for AIDS? use
only THIS year information.
2. What should you really do when you have a
3. What is the "down-side" to antibiotics in
Grading scale: 86+ = A 71+ =B 56+ = C 40+ = D
parent signature and phone # worth 5 points extra
credit in any section