Multicultural: Layered Curriculum
Social Studies 4th Grade
TEKS 4.19 A
(19) Culture. The student understands the contributions
of people of various racial, ethnic, and religious groups to Texas.
The student is expected to:
(A) identify the similarities and differences among
various racial, ethnic, and religious groups in Texas;
- Do an illustration on a poster board that includes
information to explain the various cultural heritages within your community
and present it to the class. 10pts
- Do a mini-book explaining ways Lydia Mendoza, Chelo
Silva, Julius Lorenzo, and Cobb Bledsoe made contributions in the development
of Texas. 10pts
- Read an online article that gives examples of how
families in the community borrow customs or traditions from other cultures.
Write a 1 page paper summarizing in a language other than English. 15pts
- Design a poster depicting various cultural groups
within the state and the nation. 10pts
- Read an article that describes contributions of
cultural groups to our state and nation. Write a 1-2 page summary. 10pts
- Watch video on American Indians and immigrants
that have shaped both Texas’s and America's culture such as names
of places, food, customs, celebrations. Take notes and give me an oral
- Use a Venn diagram with your group (of 4-6) to
compare and contrast elements of two or more cultures within the state
and nation such as language, food, clothing, shelter, traditions, and
- Write and perform a song about characteristics
of being a good citizen through the examples of historic figures and/or
ordinary citizens. 10pts
- Find two magazines explaining the benefits of being
a U.S. citizen such as responsibilities, freedoms, opportunities, and
the importance of voting in free elections and write a 1-2 page summary. 15pts
- Identify and participate in a local civic activity
such as community cleanup, recycling, walkathons, voting and write a
summary of the experience. 10pts
- Do a power point where you identify and explain
the celebrations of Cinco de Mayo, Oktoberfest, the Strawberry Festival,
and Fiesta San Antonio. 10pts
- Interview a curator at one of the 25 museums of
San Antonio and find out about different cultural backgrounds, multicultural
exhibits at the museum, and write in interview form. 2-4 pages.
- Interview a grandparent or an older neighbor and
find out significant historical memories, or events in their lives.
For instance did they participate in a war? Were they racially discriminated
- Design a poster board depicting Cinco de Mayo,
Oktoberfest, the Strawberry Festival, or Fiesta San Antonio with four
sections: Drawing, information (1page), collage of facts (1 page),
and a worksheet with questions and answers you choose.
- Will we have racial harmony in your lifetime?
- Is celebrating multicultural event a good idea?
- Why does Texas celebrate events such as Cinco de
Mayo, Oktoberfest, the Strawberry Festival, and Fiesta San Antonio?
40-55= D 56-70
= C 71-85= B
86+ = A
Contact phone #
(Signature and phone # are worth 5 points in “C” level)