Back to samples menu
The Constitutional Convention- 8th Grade
Morey Fugate, Prunedale, CA
Text: Houghton Mifflin "A More Perfect Union"
Name ___________________________________ Due Date __________
Chapter 4 Lesson 1 The Constitutional Convention Maximum: 100 Points
C layer: Maximum 65 points in this section.
1. Read the chapter & answer the questions at the end. 5 pts.
2. Listen to the textbook reading & follow along. Answer the questions orally. 5 pts.
3. Make a full color poster showing the delegates & what state they represented. 10 pts.
4. Make a booklet persuading a delegate to follow one of the plans. 10 pts.
5. Create a collage comparing the Virginia plan and the Articles of Confederation. 10 pts.
6. Construct a diorama showing any scene in the chapter. Explain it. 10 pts.
7. Complete Chapter 4 Lesson overview and lesson preview in the workbook. (pp 48-49) 5 pts.
8. Read the chapter and be prepared to explain any illustration. 5 pts.
9. Make a poster illustrating the "Great Compromise". 10 pts.
10. Identify the groups not represented at the convention and the issues they might have brought up. 10 pts.
11. With another person, plan a debate on one of the plans, pro and con, mentioned in the chapter. Be prepared to debate on day 4. 15 pts.
12. Make flash cards using any 15 key terms from the chapter. Learn them. 10 pts.
13. Design a tri-fold brochure promoting the Connecticut Compromise. 10 pts.
14. Create a poster showing how to count slaves. 10 pts.
15. Design and illustrate a children's book about the Constitution. 15 pts.
16. With a partner, design & display a bulletin board showing the 3 branches of government. 15 pts.
17. Make 15 flash cards covering the 3 branches of government. Learn them. 10 pts.
B layer. Choose one. Maximum 20 points in this section.
1. Explain the role each of the following played at the Constitutional Convention.
James Madison, George Washington, Edmund Randolph, William Patterson, Benjamin Franklin,
James Wilson, Charles Pinckney, George Mason, Elbridge Gerry, Luther Martin, & Alexander
2. Create a diagram comparing the different structures of government under the Articles of Confederation & under the Constitution.
3. Bake something edible showing the 3 branches of government.
A layer. Choose one. Maximum 20 points in this section.
1. Summarize 3 recent newspaper, magazine, journal, or Internet articles on the Constitution. Use the "A layer assignment form".
2. If George Washington had never lived would someone else have played that role in history?
Would things be different? If so, how? If not, why?
Grade Scale: 0-40 = F 41-55 = D 56-70 = C 71-85 = B 86 -100 = A