Biology Unit 12 Body Systems Layered Assignments
Wabasso High School
1. Describe how the functions of individual organ systems are integrated to maintain homeostasis in an organism.
2. Explain how the body produces antibodies to fight disease and how vaccines assist this process.
3. Describe how the immune system sometimes attacks some of the body’s own cells and how some allergic reactions are caused by the body's immune responses to usually harmless environmental substances.
4. Explain how environmental factors and personal decisions, such as water quality, air quality and smoking affect personal and community health.
1- Start layer B lab by planting seeds and completing lab sheet.
Day 2- Introductory Activity
*1a. In a group of 3-4, each person choose a body system
(digestive, respiratory, cardiovascular, urinary) and make a poster
showing the major parts (VS-5 pts).
Days 3-4 Digestive, Respiratory, Cardiovascular and Urinary Systems
*1b. Write which body systems are involved in maintaining
homeostasis for the following situations and what the individual
systems are responsible for: nutrients, oxygen, waste removal, energy,
water, body temperature, breathing rate, pulse rate (VL-5 pts).
Day 5- Plant Systems
____ *1c. Complete questions in class (VL-5 pts).
*1d. Make a drawing showing the organs of a plant (VS-5 pts).
Day 6- Nervous System Basics
Complete nervous system labs- pg. 980 and paper clip in class (BK-5
8- Endocrine and Immune Systems
Day 9- Review/Work Day
____ All. In groups of 3-4, create a skit about homeostasis and the body systems (BK, IE-10 pts).
____ All. With a partner, write a song about homeostasis and the body systems (MU, IE-10 pts).
All. Listen to lecture and take notes each day (VL)
10- Layer A work day/All assignments due
*1. Design and perform an experiment involving growing
seeds. As the plants grow we will use them to help teach
plant systems and to review photosynthesis and food webs.
LAYER A- CRITICAL THINKING & ANALYSIS OF REAL WORLD ISSUES (15 points)
2 resources cited below, either write a 1 page paper or create a 6
slide powerpoint presentation exploring one of the questions
below. When answering questions the first paragraph should be
an introduction and relate the question to class, the second paragraph
should give information about your question that you researched, and
the last paragraph should include your conclusion and opinion on the
question posed. All writing should be in your own words!
____ 1. How does AIDS destroy the immune system?
____ 2. What is a disease that can affect the nervous system? Give information about the disease, it’s causes, and any treatments.
3. Choose an allergy and give information about how it
affects the body, both in general and specifically at the molecular
Source #1- Title:
Date of article:
Source #2- Title:
Date of article:
Total Grade: _____ / 75 Parent/Guardian Signature (XC): _____________________________